Thursday 2 September 2010

Frida Kahlo - A Biograohy of Frida Kahlo by Hayden Herrera

Hayden Herrera did a good job on portraying Frida Kahlo's life, the famous Mexican artist. Many attempted to do it likewise but did not come close. This is what critics say. I found this book entertaining at the beginning and in the middle part but it slowed down at the end. I got to know very much about the unique person of Frida Kahlo as well as of Diego Rivera, Frida's husband with whom she could not live without. But there were also times when Frida could not stand living with him either. For an example take the year when they divorced and one year later married again.

I got to know very much about the meaning of Frida's paintings and that the source of all that was her self, her pain and loneliness. But I did not get rid of the feeling that what the author described as self-centeredness in Frida's character was actually something I don't like in people.

What I found remarkable is that once it is stated that Frida wanted to paint not for the expression of her art but because she wanted to make a living out of her paintings and be an independent woman. That's strength.

I think the reason that the book slowed down in the end can be found in the fact that Frida's life did too. Her back hurt very much and she was unable to leave her bed.

I haven't read any other Frida biography but her very own diary which she wrote in her last years but if you are interested in Frida Kahlo's life I'm sure you can't go wrong with this book.

★ ★ ★

No comments:

Post a Comment