Thursday 23 February 2012

Thoughts: A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi

The memoir of an American woman who moved to Venice to follow her love, giving up her whole privileged and established life in the US. It contains recipes as the woman is a cook or a food tracker, searching for new tastes, or something. I didn't like how she referred to her new husband always as "the stranger" and put up with his kinks, she only got to know bit by bit. Didn't hold my interest, though I am a notorious book finisher, that's why I persevered till the end.

I decided to read it because of the blogging event "Venice in February" and because it fits the monthly tag memoir in a shelfari group I participate in. Especially the food related sides of Venice were mentioned, like markets and restaurants, which got me enough insight on Venice to count for the blogging event. I am not tempted to pick up one of her other books.

Unfortunately I think it's worth only 2 stars out of five.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty glad I didn't choose this one for the challenge now...

    How was The Marriage Plot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't made up my mind yet, that's why there is still no review. It is set in a college town in the '80s. The problem was that I could not connect to this time period and there were very many references on thing that were the buzz around this time in America, which I did not understand. Additionally I am afraid that a lot of literary references went undetected by me. Still I liked the character development and how they make up their minds and grow up. That was something I could connect with!

      Delete