Thursday 1 July 2010

Paris (in July) for Book Lovers and Gourmands

by Sabrina

Paris in July has started in it's first week, hosted by Tamara and Karen.

Last September I visited Paris. I thought it would be nice to share my favorite boulangeries and bookish places with you.

Books along the Seine: In antique, a little shakily green boxes on top of the quay walls of the Seine is the place where the bouquinistes pile their treasures. One can find antique books, post cards, cartoons and pressings on Rive Gauche between Quai Turnelle and Quai Malaquais. I found quite some beautiful postcards to take home for souvenir. I wanted to do a collage with them when I returned home, but unfortunately didn't take the time to do it yet.

After the visit of the Louvre I did a little shopping in the 1er Arrondissement. I found a very exquisite bakery on 33 rue Danielle Casanova, Paris 1er. It's name is Eric Kayser, who is an artisan boulanger and besides the ones in Paris also has shops in Tokyo, Dakar and other international locations. I bought some baguette which tasted just fabulous.

On the same day I stumbled over a very nice bookshop. It's a librairie anglaise called Galignani on 224 rue de Rivoli, Paris 1er. It is a book shop for English literature and I liked the atmosphere. Book lovers all over the place browsing for new purchases. And I loved the ladders which led to the tops of the very high bookshelves. In the back the shop had a stair and something like a balcony filled as well with bookshelves. Has anyone seen this in real life before?

When I did a walk through the old Marais I passed a very good bakery, the Maison Hilaire on 11 rue de Saint Antoine, Paris 4e. They had very fine pastries and cakes for sale. I couldn't resist and went in to buy something very delicious I can't remember the name of. But it was sweet and had berries on it.

Last but not least I loved the very tiny and not glamorous but therefore authentic and cozy bakery on 42 rue Jacob in Saint Germain des Prés. On my very first day I visited it and bought Pain au Chocolat and Clafoutis. I tried my French on the very nice owner Catherine Prud'Hon Maillard which she acknowledged with a very nice: "Trés bon, mademoiselle." I felt like in heaven. I had a break in a very tiny park next to the Église St Germain des Prés where I ate up all those little deliciousnesses.

7 comments:

  1. I was in Paris last September too - maybe we crossed paths and didn't know it! Unfortunately I didn't get time to discover any bookshops while we were there but I will definitely be looking at some of your suggestions next time we visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to following your wonderful blog! I stopped by on the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Karen: I really like the thought of us passing each other on Parisian streets. It's funny.

    @ bibliophiliac: Thank you for following. I really appreciate that you think my musings are worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopping in from the Book Blogger Hop! =))

    I'm a new follower! =)

    Happy Reading!

    Have a great weekend!

    xoxo

    http://www.larissaslife.com/2010/07/book-blogger-hop-folow-my-book-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful photos, I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arrived via Tamara's Paris in July week 1 overview. You found some wonderful places in Paris. I look forward to seeing more of your "explorations." Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds wonderful. I am going to jot down all the addresses for my next visit. I did enjoy my walk along the Siene and viewing the array of books and prints avaialable.

    ReplyDelete